Tex Mex Rice Casserole
Tex Mex Rice Casserole
- 1 package Meals From The Heart Veggies and Rice, cooked according to package directions.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1-tablespoon vegetable oil (or other cooking oil)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1-cup fresh, canned (drained) or frozen corn kernels (thawed)
- 1 can (10 oz.) enchilada sauce (recipe)
- 1 package (1 oz.) taco seasoning mix* (recipe)
- 5 cups Meals From The Heart Veggies and Rice
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (Colby, Monterey jack, cheddar)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- Broken tortilla chips
Add beef to a 12-inch nonstick skillet, sprinkling with 1 tsp. salt and 2 tsp. taco seasoning mix. Cook beef 6 to 8 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until brown, and cooked through. Set aside.
Add oil to same skillet, and heat over medium heat. Add onion and corn. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender.
In casserole dish, stir together beef, enchilada sauce, corn and onions and pre-cooked Meals From The Heart Veggies and Rice.
Top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, until heated through and cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
This could also be finished off in a microwave; just heat through, melting cheese.
Optional additions: Hominy, black or pinto beans, jalapeno, green onions, red onion.
For a crunchy topping, add broken chips during last 5 minutes of baking.
Red Enchilada Sauce
Prep Time: 5 mins
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir together over the heat for one minute. Add remaining ingredients and cook at a simmer for 5 minutes.
Quick Enchilada Sauce:
Stir 2 tsp. taco seasoning mix into 8 ounce can tomato sauce.
*Enchilada sauce can be refrigerated for up to 5 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.
Taco Seasoning Recipe
- ¼ c. chili powder
- ¼ c. cumin powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. oregano (ground or powder)
- ¼ c. kosher salt or sea salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
Mix well in a jar or food processor. Store in an airtight container. Sprinkle directly on meat, onions and peppers to desired taste.
3 Tablespoons is the equivalent of one packet from the store.