Meals from the Heart Veggie Burgers
- 2 cups Meals From The Heart Veggies and Rice
- 1 large egg, mixed in a small bowl (might try it with 2 eggs)
- 1(14-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion or yellow onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 to 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- ½- teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½- teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 to 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Put drained beans in a large mixing bowl and mash about 2/3 of them. Add all the seasonings, flour, tamari/soy sauce and salt and pepper; mix well with a fork. Add 2 cups of cooked and cooled Meals From The Heart Veggies and Rice. Use a fork to mix everything together without compressing it.
Shape the dough into 8 patties (roughly 1/3 cup of dough per patty). Pack the dough together tightly as this will help it stick together. This can be done quite easily using a piece of plastic wrap and dumping 1/3 cup of mixture into the center. Use the plastic to help shape the patty; flatten to 3/4” thickness and make into a round patty.
Heat skillet over medium high heat; coat bottom of pan generously with oil. Use a spatula to put veggie burgers into pan. Cook until bottom is browned and crispy; flip and cook second side the same. You want the veggie burgers to have a crisp outside and a hot, soft interior.
Serve in a bun or lettuce wrap with your desired toppings. Try it with homemade Aioli Sauce!
Leftover burgers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 to 3 days, or you can freeze cooled patties for up to 1 month. Simply wrap each patty in tinfoil and then place all of the wrapped burgers into a zip freezer bag.
Simple Aioli Sauce:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
Stir together in a small bowl.